Friday, June 15, 2007

Ajisai

Ajisai is the Japanese word for hydrangea. Hydrangea are a symbol of the Japanese rainy season and are usually in full bloom from mid-June through early July. These flowers have been included in poetry and depicted in artwork since the Nara period of Japanese history, as early as 710. Apparently, hydrangeas were originally cultivated in Japan and then spread through China to Europe in the early 17th century.
I decided to give Josh a vacation from my flower finding exploits, so my friend Ashlee and I (and her baby Kaylee!) took a little mid-day venture to nearby Hakkeijima to enjoy the blooms and a walk by the sea. It was a warm day, but at least it wasn't raining! (NOTE: We decided not to follow the Japanese summer dress code - which seems to include long pants, several layered shirts, a hat, and an umbrella...yeah, sunscreen hasn't really caught on here yet and people are concerned about catching a cold in the air-conditioned trains!)
A quick botanical/chemistry lesson, if you didn't already know this...the color of hydrangea blooms is based on the pH of the soil where they are planted. The flowers are more blue when the soil is more acidic and more pink when the soil is more alkaline. Cool, huh?!? (Hopefully this wins me points with my chemist father-in-law!!)

Oh, yeah...the sign we're standing next to says "ajisai." (I know this thanks to Ashlee, who knows a zillion times more Japanese than I do!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home